Friday, 31 January 2014

Haven't Failed My New Year's Resolutions Yet

In the cusp of 2013 and 2014, one of the hottest topics was New Year's Resolutions. On the internet, print media, radio, and television (I'm not sure about the TV part as we currently don't have cable nor reception), this is talked about in various shapes and forms. Talk show hosts ask their guests about their New Year’s Resolution, features writers publish articles on what's good to add to your list. It goes on and on for about a week into January, then everybody starts forgetting about it.

Some people never get to start on their New Year's Resolutions, some dedicated people are able to keep at it until at least the end of the first quarter, but only a few, if there is any at all, are able to stick to it until the new New Year comes.

I am, unfortunately, among the first. Actually, I didn't even draw-up a physical New Year's Resolutions list. It's all in my head; made-up as things I'd like to achieve or change about myself dawn on me. Before January 1, 2014, it all boiled down to:
  • Diet and exercise
  • Work better
  • Clean your room
Since I haven't started on any of those yet, and it's already the end of January, how can I say that I haven't failed yet? For two reasons:
  1. I'm a quarter Chinese
  2. It's the Chinese New Year
Yes. I know. Those two are more like excuses rather than a valid explanation. But the thing is, change is hard even if it happens all the time, all around us. It takes a while. Nobody can just wake-up a better person and sustain it all through-out their life.

However, and I am well aware of this, change can't be achieved through wishful thinking. It takes a step; a very courageous step. And that's what I've been doing this whole time that I haven't acted out on any of my resolutions; I was gathering courage, as well as the energy.

I am, admittedly, a lazy person (I should add being more productive to my list). I can't sustain a eureka moment long enough for my energy levels to catch up to it so I could act on it. It takes a while for me, and yes, I'm adding changing that to the list as well. That's why I've delayed implementing my resolution till February. But this time, I swear, I'm going to actually do it; or else I'll have to wait for the Islamic New Year which will fall on October 24-25 this year.

Want in on a little secret though? The great thing about changing one's self is that you can start it anytime you want. Sure, it's better to start sooner; but no one will be giving you a time limit or a deadline but yourself. Don't tell the New Year's Resolutions junkies though, they might go batshit crazy.

In the end, YOU are in control of YOUR life. Unless you're 12.9 years old, then your parents are probably in control of it. Point is, when you become an adult, it IS YOUR LIFE NOW. So do what you want with it. As long as you don't hurt others and you are happy, then live it the way you want to live it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to work-out :)

1 comment:

unconventional lady said...

Nobody ever realizes I have Chinese blood. Probably because I'm not rich. LOLJK! :)) My mom's dad was working-class Chinese lumber who emigrated to the Philippines.

Anyway, I think what I meant (but haven't realized while writing the post itself) is that the point is not when to start but just to start. That if a person fails keeping to their resolution on the first day or month of the New Year, it's no reason to give up. I think that's why many give up on their resolutions. They're too pressured to stick to it within a certain time frame that when they fail, they just give up. But people should realize that failure is not the end of it all; that they can try and try again until it becomes second nature to them and that's how they'll succeed.

Of course, I'm probably just making another excuse for being a lazy ass :))

Post a Comment